Trout is just one of those fish that has the perfect texture and healthy nutrients that combine to make one amazing dish no matter how you prepare it. Light on the stomach, but also satisfying, trout possess a rich taste and also serves as a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as B vitamins, all of which help prevent things like heart disease while also lowering blood pressure. Here are a few delicious ways to prepare trout that will have you wondering how something so healthy can taste so good!
Smoked Trout Appetizer
¾ cup kosher salt
1 ¼ cups brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
3 trout fillets
1. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.
2. Thoroughly rub mixture over fillets.
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at last 10 hours.
4. Remove and place in low-temperature smoker for 1 – 2 hours, or until firm, and serve.
1 trout fillet
5 garlic cloves (or to taste), minced
Ginger, minced (equal to garlic quantity)
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1. In a bowl, mix garlic, ginger, green onions, and cilantro.
2. Fill roasting pan with water and bring to a boil.
3. Carefully add the fish and cover.
4. Boil for 5 minutes (more if the fish is large).
5. In a separate, small pan, heat the vegetable oil.
6. Remove the fish from the water and move to a serving platter.
7. Spread original mixture over the fillet.
8. Gently pour the hot oil over the fish to lock in the mixture’s flavor. (Popping and crackling noises are to be expected.)
9. Drizzle the soy sauce over fillets and serve.
I’ve added a handful of recipes to LiveOutdoors.com since its inception, and I’ve been so glad to share them with you all over the months. Fish is one of those dishes than can add a little extra flair to any occasion, and these excellent ways to prepare trout are no exception. Not only are trout rich with Omega-3’s and B-vitamins, but a little change of pace from burgers or chicken is a bonus. Plus, just being able to say you’ve poached a trout should be enough to get any angler to try them out.