When it comes to cooking our catch, there’s not much that beats the easy, traditional, and delicious taste of fried fish. Unless, of course, you add beer batter to the mix. Yes, anyone who’s eaten or cooked beer batter fried fish will tell you that it’s one of the best ways to cook fish, and today I’ve got two recipes—an old favorite and a new twist—that will blow you away!
Classic Beer Batter Fish
6-8 cod or haddock fillets
2 qts vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup flour
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 can/bottle of beer
1. In a deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to 365 degrees.
2. Mix together flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in egg, and then add beer until batter if formed.
3. Dip fillets in batter and add to oil, turning once until both sides are golden brown.
4. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Tipsy Fish Tacos
1 bottle of dark beer
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
3 cod or haddock fillets, cubed
1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
5 cups shredded cabbage
Flour or corn tortilla shells
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup salsa
1. Combine beer, flour, and salt in a bowl.
2. In a large pan, heat oil to 360 degrees.
3. Coat fish cubes in batter and add to oil, frying until golden brown on all sides .
4. Remove fish from oil and drain on paper towel.
5. Place a spoonful of cabbage in the center of each tortilla and add fish. Serve with mayonnaise and salsa.