Famed British chef and reality television star Gordon Ramsay can do it all. We’ve seen him go from foul-mouthed belligerent to charming and sweet in a multitude of reality tv shows from Hell’s Kitchen to Master Chef Juniors.
In the latest episode of Ramsay’s UK-based show F Word, the star chef takes on something especially unique to the Londoner: He hunts, butchers and cooks a wild boar. The show recently posted an 8-minute clip from the episode documenting a trip to Fort Benning in Georgia.
“Hog is lean, tender and bursting with flavor,” Ramsay says. “This could be my toughest challenge yet.”
It’s here that the state is dealing with a hog problem. Too many of the wild boars are digging up forests, ripping up roads and causing turmoil that the Army has enacted a cull to reduce the numbers. But as Ramsay find out, hunting one down is not so easy.
After receiving firearm training with a long rifle and hand gun from Army Special Task Force Major Bobby Toom, they start their search at 6 am the next morning. Toom points out some tracks, some scat and hog rub against a tree. But once they spot the boars, they take off into the trees. Later they get their prey in a trap set up along a road.
They dispatch the hog and next comes the butchering until finally Ramsay gets down to business doing what he does best. For this demonstration he chose ribs, loin and filet.
- First he boiled the ribs in fragrant water with onions, cloves, garlic, chili and tomato paste for 20 minutes.
- Then he cut the filet and loin into medallions and marinated them with olive oil, salt, pepper, lime juice and chili powder.
- Next he made a BBQ sauce by sauteing onions and adding molasses, mustard, chili sauce and apple cider vinegar.
- Finally, just brush the meat with sauce and grill.
- And to accompany the pork a coleslaw with light mayonnaise.
Photo credit: Youtube