You don’t have to skimp of comforts when you’re in the outdoors. You can make your own comfort food right at your campsite.
Firstly, you’ll need to make sure you have a few bare essentials on hand, such as a dutch oven, foil and foil packets, and a pie iron. Dutch ovens are great because they’re like a crock pot for the outdoors—you can load all your ingredients in and let it sit on the coals for a while. Foil packets are like mini-dutch ovens and allow you to make individual packets of food. It also helps if you have a camping pot and pan nearby.
Lasagna noodles (raw, or partly boiled at home)
Veggies – mushrooms, spinach, onions, etc.
Ground beef or turkey
1. If you didn’t par-boil your noodled ahead of time, you’ll need to boil them in your camping pot.
2. Layer your ingredients in the foil packet by starting with a bit of sauce on the bottom, then a noodle, veggies, meat, and cheese. Repeat this for three layers.
3. Loosely close the packet and set in the fire’s coals, but not too close to the flames, for around 10 minutes.
1/2 pound bacon
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 (15 oz) cans baked beans
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the bacon in your dutch oven until it browns. Drain it, cut it into smaller pieces, and set it aside.
2. Cook the ground meat and chopped onion in the dutch oven and drain them after they cook.
3. Add the bacon, beans, and BBQ sauce to the meat and onions and bring the mixture to a boil. Serve and top with shredded cheese.